blox

netsteller

all messages by user

9/29/2016
Topic:
Passing Incoming DID to backend PBX

netsteller
netsteller
I have been testing Blox for a few weeks now and just got serious with it when 1 of our current firewalls lost a hard drive. After installing and upgrading to newest version I followed the user/configuration guides (using Freeblox) I got it working, sort of. With the help of support@blox.com we have 2 external phones registered through Blox to an internal PBX (asterisk) and we have a trunk connecting to an external provider also. Yay, for all of that working!

The problem we have run into now is with incoming calls and them not passing the DID to the PBX. This is a problem because the PBX does call routing per incoming DID. I have looked through all of the topics here and even through the user/configuration guides. I even searched through Opensips stuff to find an answer but came up empty handed.

Has anyone seen this issue or know how to resolve the issue. We basically need the incoming DID information to be passed on to the internal PBX.

thx josh
10/1/2016
Topic:
Passing Incoming DID to backend PBX

netsteller
netsteller
I downloaded and copied the file to the location and bang! it worked perfect. Thank you, thank you. We are moving forward again. I found another issue with domain names and hyphens but I will start another thread on that for tracking issues.

thx josh
10/1/2016
Topic:
Subdomain names that contain hyphens...

netsteller
netsteller
In the domain section, when adding a domain with a hyphen in the subdomain of the domain (subdomain.domain.com) section the roaming profile domain section does not show the complete name.

Example: "your-sub.domain.com" will only show up as "your" in the roaming profile section under "sip domains". I'm guessing the script that builds that section doesn't like the hyphen?
10/3/2016
Topic:
Multi-Tenant Setup

netsteller
netsteller
First off, I would like to say that the more I learn about this software the better it gets. I really appreciate the hard work that everyone has put into this SBC software. With that said, we don't use any transcoding cards but is there a way to donate?

Ok, we have multiple asterisk PBX boxes behind Blox. We use IP authentication from our outside carriers.

What is the best way to route incoming calls to different asterisk boxes. Example: customer A needs to reach PBX A and customer B needs to reach PBX B (for incoming calls). The way we are doing it now is using different Trunk Profiles and Trunk Configurations for each customer (just using different WAN and LAN ports on the same WAN address). We basically route the incoming calls by port number. Is that the best way?

I know that Blox can use domains to route calls, but our carrier doesn't pass any domains with the incoming calls. Only the DID that they are sending the call to which is routed once it gets to the PBX (thank you for getting that fixed last week).

With our old firewall we use different IP addresses to help route the traffic, but we are trying to eliminate some of our static IP addresses with our ISP to save money.

FYI, we did figure out that using the same "user name" in the multiple trunks will break the system so it no longer connects with WAN and LAN Profiles. That took a little time to undo after we did it and wondered why all the extensions stopped registering. :-)

thx josh
10/6/2016
Topic:
Changing WAN IP address

netsteller
netsteller
We wanted to move our test box to our backup ISP. We logged into the GUI (Freeblox) and adjusted the WAN interface settings. A quick reboot and now the external extensions won't register. We did change the external DNS pointers to the new IP also. Is there something that we need to change on the Blox to allow the new IP address? We tried deleting some of the roaming profiles and recreating them but still not working.
10/6/2016
Topic:
Changing WAN IP address

netsteller
netsteller
The problem maybe resolved. After numerous trial and error settings...I figured out that if I disable DPI and apply settings, then enable DPI and apply settings the traffic is flowing again. Let me know if that sounds about right.
10/10/2016
Topic:
Changing WAN IP address

netsteller
netsteller
Everything has been good for a few days. This morning a customer answered a VoIP call, but could not hear the other person. After they hung up all of the phones in their office disconnected from the VoIP server. I logged into the Blox server and "disabled DPI" and the phones connected. I then "enabled DPI" and the phones stayed connected. This effected all extensions and trunks that where connected through the Blox server. We are still in the process of testing so we only have 2 customers on this server right now.

Just to make sure we are setting this up correctly...Is it OK to have each extension using the same LAN, WAN and Roaming profiles (we use Asterisk to authenticate extensions)?

Example:

extA@customer.com:portnumber1

extB@customer.com:portnumber1
extC@customer.com:portnumber1

So the only difference is the extension number. The domain and port numbers are all the same.
3/10/2017
Topic:
Outbound Caller ID issues with 1.0.3

netsteller
netsteller
We upgraded from 1.0.0.44 to the new 1.0.3 and our outbound CID is doing some weird things. If I call my cell phone (T-Mobile) I get the wrong CID. If I call another cell phone (Sprint) the CID is unavailable. If I call my VoIP tech support the CID is wrong and even different from the wrong CID when calling my cell. Calling 3 different locations and the CID is different each time and always wrong. The PBX is setup with the correct CID and it was working before the upgrade.

Is there something in this new version that we need to change to update the outbound CID? Inbound is still working as expected.
3/16/2017
Topic:
Multi-Tenant Setup

netsteller
netsteller
Is the load balancing or routing by DID been included with the new version?

thx josh
3/22/2017
Topic:

netsteller
netsteller
Ok, we finally got time to get this update installed. The first outbound call showed a "private" caller id. The second call and every call after that is still showing the wrong number just as before. No change.
3/29/2017
Topic:

netsteller
netsteller
We applied the fix and now the caller ID shows "unknown" when we call out. Is there a way to fix this so the PBX can get the callerID out correctly?

thx josh
edited by netsteller on 3/29/2017
3/30/2017
Topic:

netsteller
netsteller
The outbound callerID is still not working correctly. We have uploaded the new update 1.0.4.00-8. Called 2 different cell phones with 2 different carriers and the callerID is "private number". Called our VoIP carrier support and they got a "213" area code number. Not sure where this number even came from as we are in the "909" area code. They said something about checking the "remote party id" on our SBC if that makes sense.
edited by netsteller on 3/30/2017
edited by netsteller on 3/30/2017
4/4/2017
Topic:

netsteller
netsteller
Just emailed it all to support.

thx josh
4/7/2017
Topic:

netsteller
netsteller
That worked perfect. I think we had originally added the username for the trunk because it was required or something. But all is working now that we removed it.

thx josh
5/16/2017
Topic:
Blox as a load balancing and failover functional.

netsteller
netsteller
Will the load balancing and failover allow 2 Blox servers to work together? Will we be able to decide or pick either load balancing versus failover or will they both just be configured and working at the same time. We would like to be able to have 2 Blox servers so if the first one fails we have redundancy and the second one takes over.
Example: Blox Server 1 runs as the main and if it fails or gets over loaded Blox server 2 takes over.
edited by netsteller on 5/16/2017
5/17/2017
Topic:
hostname setup...

netsteller
netsteller
Is there anywhere that I can setup the "hostname" for the Blox server? When I run the command "hostname" from the CLI it gives me the generic ISP name that includes the IP address. The reason I am wondering is when I "apply" settings it takes almost 5 minutes to complete. My guess is it's hanging on something like the network configuration because it doesn't have a good hostname? This is 5 minutes that the phone connections don't work. Is there any other reason why the apply settings would take so long. This machine is an 8 core with 16 GB of RAM. I am running the latest version of Blox.

I have entered the hostname in the GUI, but it doesn't seem to use it. What is the proper format for the hostname in the GUI? servername.domain.com?
edited by netsteller on 5/17/2017
5/17/2017
Topic:
Blox as a load balancing and failover functional.

netsteller
netsteller
Ok, so this won't do redundancy failover if one Blox server goes offline?

Will it load-balance between 2 Blox servers?
5/24/2017
Topic:
hostname setup...

netsteller
netsteller
We are using static IP addresses on all interfaces.

We ended up changing the hostname to match the external FQDN and removed a hypen in the name. This seems to have helped. We can apply settings in about 15-20 seconds which is much better than before.
5/24/2017
Topic:
SIP WAN Profile Limitation

netsteller
netsteller
Is there a limitation on the amount of Sip Profiles that can be added?

I have 13 LAN Profiles and 13 WAN Profiles each using a unique port number that match LAN and WAN. Each client has their own port and thats how we route which incoming call goes to which PBX.

Example: "Sip Profile (A) LAN" uses port 1234 and "Sip Profile (A) WAN" uses port 1234. Everything seems to work fine, but when I add 1 more Sip WAN Profile the other 13 profiles stop working.
edited by netsteller on 5/30/2017
5/30/2017
Topic:
SIP WAN Profile Limitation

netsteller
netsteller
I have emailed you the backup configuration.

thx josh